Saturday 27 September 2008

Running Madness..

After last weeks 16 miler round the Great Orme, I'd already decided that this was the perfect spot for my continued training..and especially my sternest test, a 21 mile run. There are many schools of thought regarding training for a marathon. I happen to believe in laying down hard mileage to get used to the punishment, both physical and mental, which will make or break a good run on the day.
My running companions for a while...

So this week I got up even earlier and drove to Wales through mist and fog, to find blue skies and sunshine! Still a nice coolness to the morning as I set off running through Llandudno, from West Shore. The smell of full English, or perhaps Welsh breakfasts was wafting from every hotel and B 'n' B and the sun reflected off the sea past Little Orme across the bay. This felt more like a holiday.
Setting a cracking pace...which I just couldn't match!

The idea was to run four circuits, which would total just over 21 miles. To keep things interesting I alternated my direction, first anti-clockwise to give a longer slower ascent, with a steep descent...to the other way round with a sharp climb and gentle roll down through town. So for my first circuit I enjoyed the splendid sea views and relaxed into a nice stride, which took just forty five minutes..bang on the pace I intended.
Just over 3 hours for just over 21 miles on undulating road...I'm quite pleased and know I can't go any faster. If I can match this pace in the race I'll be very happy!

Curiously there don't seem to be any other people using this area to run. Plenty of walkers and a few cyclists, but I was alone. The final circuit was my undoing. I'd just changed direction, so had hammered my legs down the steeper descent above Llys Helig, and was now climbing the same slope. I made the top by the cafe but the energy had gone from my legs and each stride seemed to jar through to my bones. This was now very tough..even on the level ground. Almost unbelievably I also got stung by a wasp that got down my left shoe?? If I hadn't been the furthest from the car, I think I'd have used this as an excuse to stop...but had to keep going. Every ounce of me was hurting and it was such a relief to finally, what felt like stumble back to the car through town. Despite feeling so slow on this last round, my time only suffered by just two minutes when compared with the previous. So that's it now...till the race I will not go any further, distance wise. I will treat the downhill sections with a little more caution. It took some Ibuprofen and a days rest till my knees were happy again. But I'm generally pleased...no other aches or pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Running madness indeed! thanks for that account, I'll be running it too you see. Sorry, you don't know me, I just googled snowdon marathon images and your blog popped up. Hope your knees hold together, I haven't run in six weeks and I'm petrified. Good luck on the day - runner 591 - Jeff