Wednesday 3 June 2009

Carn Fadryn..a short walk with a view

Last week I was lucky enough to spend a few days on the Llyn Peninsula, in North Wales. On my first day, by way of a stop on my drive further South, I climbed Yr Eifl and Tre'r Ceiri. Sadly I have little to tell from these hills except cold wind and thick mist and stumbling around in ankle snapping boulders hidden in heather and bilberry!
Carn Fadryn viewed across farmland from the West close to the village of Dinas

By way of a reward for the previous days efforts, I decided to finally set foot on a delightful hill, CarnFadryn, which sits centrally in the peninsula. Like its higher northerly neighbour Tre'r Ceiri it boasts an Iron Age hill fort. Though not as impressive, it is nonetheless thought provoking and I found myself trying to imagine life in such a place so long ago.
The track up out of the village leads to a gate, where the direction changes, following the wall to the right, before ascending.

There is easy parking in the village which takes it's name from the hill behind. Today the sun was beating back a sea mist which kept me cool in my tent earlier. Now the day was almost hot and I chatted with a couple who had just come down and spotted their first ever Grass Snake, basking in the heat.
Looking North East lining Garn Boduan up with the distant horizon of Yr Eifl and furher right into Snowdonia. The Irish Sea and the town of Nefyn are hidden in the mist. Perhaps there's even a UFO in there too...

To the left of the chapel a track goes boldly straight at the hill. After a small gate such an aggressive route is softened by the path skirting round in an anti-clockwise manner, so as to ease the angle of ascent! After a short steep climb with a little meandering through the heather, the hill fort was breached and the summit trig point in sight. My reward for the day, far reaching views and the sea mist clinging to the north coast, adding to the impression of altitude given from such a hill which punches bigger than its size!

No comments: