Sunday 5 July 2009

Mussels...

Mussels are delicious! For me they bring back memories too. Long ago on those dull wet days on holidays to Wales, when the sand was no good to play in and the sun hid well away. My parents needed to be quick to keep four young boys from squabbling and fighting! There is much truth in the saying "the devil finds work for idle hands", which often started out in some sand slinging, but quickly escalated into all out sticks and stone fights! So what a pearl the mussel is. Who can find the biggest and best mussel? Everybody busy and food for the evening sorted out...
Lots and lots of good size mussels in a surprising location...

I find it very hard to pass up the chance of picking mussels. I'm always looking and have had some lovely ones from my closely guarded locations. I found a new spot recently and though they were well barnacle encrusted, proved heavenly once cleaned and cooked. There is something so rewarding to finding your own food, preparing it then cooking and eating. What a treat...

Quick fried onion and garlic, pinch of herbs then steamed over a camping stove..ready in minutes, irresistibly tasty!

No comments: