Monday 10 December 2007

Too Much Rain...


So far this month, the weather has really turned wet. The air temperature has ranged from Winter's worst freezing to a strangely Spring-like mildness. The wind has blown from every direction, from a breeze to a gale, sometimes all at once. Making for some very confused days! Above all it's been wet! The bottom turnout field has a lake forming and migrating ducks are looking to over Winter with us! So with a rare break in the rain, drove to the yard with one purpose. Get out and ride.

Rachel very kindly puts Heathers morning net in for me most mornings. This is such a help to me, especially when I'm working. I'd find it impossible to get away from the airport at such a busy time.

So on this morning, found Heather, happily tucking into a plump netfull. I knew there'd be trouble as soon as I put her tack on the stable door. She gave me a dirty glance, flicked her ears back, swished her tail and stamped a foot! Went on eating and gave a big sigh. Pretty obviously saying, "go away and don't bother me!" I can sympathise because I'd be pretty angry if someone put a big fat fry-up infront of me, let me nibble the bacon, only to then confiscate the lot. Plus then forcing me to go and run in the cold!

Still no excuse for the behaviour I got next. Took her rug off and started brushing her. At times like these it's good to be sharp witted. After only a few strokes of a soft body brush, got the first turn of her head and threat of a bite! Pushed her away and carried on. This went on. Now moved to her hind quarters, out of biting range. She's never kicked at me in the stable. Twitched a leg in warning yes, until today. Not once, but three times. I kept brushing and she got a jab of my knuckles in her flanks if she threatened to kick. Not to mention a good shouting at!! She eventually let out another big sigh, settled down and let me finish in peace.

I have noted that on occasions like this, she usually puts out a good performance when ridden. So happily we were soon setting off down a very wet lane. With almost as much water as mud, with very little ground so to speak. Quite a strong gusty wind blowing from somewhere in the North, making me wonder whether I shoud have put gloves on!

With all the recent rain the river was very high. The weir under the green bridge was washed out. With a big standing wave just downstream of the new kayak egress steps. A point of interest, should I ever decide to paddle on rivers again.

As we crossed the bridge I was on the look-out for any of the bits of tree and logs floating down. Ever wary of her fears of anything croccodile shaped! I think she was told tall stories when only a foal. Because unless she lived in a zoo previously, she wouldn't know a croc from a lion. Perhaps there's the trouble. Must bring her some pictures...

To keep things fresh, we went left on the opposite side. The track goes up through a nice little wood, then over a stile. Opening out to a field, bordered by the river below and paths running round and across. Soggy and slippery in places but good enough for a careful canter elsewhere. We had it to ourselves and enjoyed every minute. She got quite strong any time we vaguely pointed in the direction of home. So I was careful and aware to slow her gently on the greasy turf.

Next, took her up towards Kickety Brook, along the swollen river. We had a difference of opinion along the way. Which ended with her flicking her heels up, then trying to walk down the bank towards the water!! I think she realised she'd made a bad mistake. Thankfully I convinced her my way would be easier in the long run.

We went well together from then on. Had some nice trot and a short canter. Before finding the track flooded infront. This section often has water on it, which is not deep. I also know the ground underneath is good and not muddy. So after carefully checking it at walk, turned round and cantered fast, through..making a splendid splash. Fantastic fun!! She's very brave.. Reluctantly headed for home, knowing the lower banks this way would be flooded. She was tired..though I think she was putting it on, when we returned. The wind had really picked up and getting quite cold. So she got her haynet back.

No comments: