Saturday 8 December 2007

Good to Catch


I've been looking after Heather for eighteen months now. We've both been learning together and there have been plenty of testing moments along the way. She had been turned away for a few months before I started loaning her. During this time she pretty much established herself at the top of the herd. So not surprisingly she was very difficult to catch. I didn't know her then, but it apparently took a few days of patience and bravery to finally bring her in.

In those early days I was warned she may still be difficult to catch. Indeed the first time I tried, she'd let me get so close....only to trot off as soon as I got too close. This lasted half an hour or so. I just kept following her round. I did cheat, having a bucket of feed. Which made me very nervous, as all the others soon spotted it and I became some sort of pied piper. Every horse and pony in the field wanting to be my friend, except the one I wanted! However after this first test, she became more willing to be caught. I stopped bringing a bucket with feed, a more discrete carrot stashed in a pocket worked just as well. So through the first Winter, things were all going well.

In early April we found ourselves temporarily homeless when her stable block was demolished! With no spare place for her, she went back to living out. Not a worry for a horse who'd spent so long out without much attention previously. I did wonder, though, if she'd get used to her freedom too much and become difficult again. I needn't have worried and a few times she came to greet me as I brought her a haynet. In fact this is probably when I first started to call her over and magically she came. I was so pleased and proud to have her seem to acknowledge me like this.

That was until she went into a field with fresh, lush grass in June. Went to catch her one morning, having left her out the previous night. I got the shock of my life when she snatched the carrot out of my hand...pinned her ears back, bared her teeth and span round showing me both feet!! Then proceeded to chase me out of the field.. Scary stuff! Managed to catch her in full flow on a pic. Took lots of bravery and cunning to catch her, two days later. Used one of the willing girls from the pony barn!

Since then there has been no repetition of that silliness. Things have got so good that I can reliably call her from the gate and most times she comes. Which was always my aim. Sometimes I don't get to the yard till after dark. So knowing I don't have to go searching a dark muddy field gives me the confidence to turn her out more..good for both of us!

Two consecutive nights last week gave two extremes though. On the Thursday I went to call her in. I hit the metal gate with the clip on her lead rope and call her name. I got a distant whinny. With all the recent rain, ducks have taken to roosting in the field. Next thing I heard was panicking duck sounds and some serious splashing! Out of the dark loomed the distinctly unbalanced Heather cantering straight at the gate. Stop!! Thought she was going to jump it. Skidded to a halt infront of me and greeted me like a long lost friend. What fantastic feeling to have her seem so keen.

Next night. Called from the gate. Silence. Waited, called again...waited ten minutes..nothing, no horse! Strange. Went looking. It was cloudy and I could make out all the others in the field, all ponies. Went round the whole field looking at the fences and surrounding ditches. Certainly no sight nor sound of H. I was getting quite worried as she'd been out all afternoon, most unlike her not to be around. With out any doubt she was not in the field. Started to go round again, when suddenly she appeared by my side! Very relieved..also a little angry. Where had she been? She was not interested in her haynet..mmmh! Wherever she went, she ate well!

No comments: