Tuesday 27 November 2007

Night Rider!


At last I've knuckled down to some long overdue projects at home. I have know one to push me and one thing I know about myself. I'm not a homemaker. I constantly find myself torn between society's "rules" and expectations..and my own desires for a simple life! I've got new carpets coming in just over a week and I've suddenly realised that I need to do some prepartion. Somehow or other, as DIY projects tend to. Painting skirting boards has turned into stripping wallpaper..which turned into repairing plaster...which meant another visit to B and Q. A fate almost as bad as visiting IKEA. My conclusions are that people who willingly embark on such madness, as painting and decorating must have a serious problem in life. There can be nothing more soul destroying. That's how I felt this afternoon. I needed a very quick fix, of what others may see as my own madness...

Heather had new shoes today. Which went well with my silly painting plans, as I wasn't sure when the farrier would turn up. So after my second visit to the yard at two-ish, found H, with new footwear. Chucked her out into the mud and unable to face more stripping, went shopping!! Which is probably when I decided to ride out in the dark!

To be perfectly honest, everything slotted right into place. I needed a reward for my trials of the day. I've been wanting to hack out in the dark for quite a while. I bought a hi-viz sheet and leg strips ages ago. She even has a hi-viz headcollar for the field, though she doesn't need it, as she comes to a call most times. Like tonight!

So, all tacked up, me with a headtorch and a red bike lamp strapped to my leg..off we went. A perfect night to try this. Mild...some cloud to reflect the street lights of nearby civilisation and hardly a breath of wind. Off the yard no probs and splashing through mud and puddles down the lane, which seemed soo dark! Heather was quite lively, ears pricked, she was obviously more aware than in daylight. She did misplace a foot now and then, but put that down to new shoes. Surely with the number of carrots she eats, she must have near perfect night sight.

Kept it simple and stayed this side of the river and went round Banky Meadow. Was interested to see how her head shaking would be. I'd taken her net off her bridle. True to form, during the whole ride she was perfect, no head shaking. This horse goes well in the dark...and in the rain...a challenging enough combination for most riders! Though as usual, without anything else to bother her, she was quite spooky. She's good though. More than once she started shying and blowing. Despite me being almost blind..I pushed her on...I think she was looking for re-assurance. So she didn't really make too much fuss. Riding in the dark definately tests your balance!

We said hello to the youngsters. I'm growing fond of the chestnut who always leads them and is very bold. Before trotting off homewards. Almost unbelievably, we came head on with three other horses. Lit like Christmas trees. So we weren't alone after all. Another totally different ride on a horse who just seems to go from strength to strength. Fantastic!!! I'm looking forward to some moon lit canters next time...

No comments: