Sunday 18 November 2007

The Go Anywhere Mare..


Last Saturday afternoon was my first chance to ride Heather, with her newly clipped coat. I've had lots of remarks complimenting me on how good she looks. She's becoming an impressive looking horse. Like so many things in life, it's all too easy to focus on and remember bad points. Because I see her everyday and know her problem areas, perhaps I look at these too hard. To someone else looking in with fresh eyes. The overall picture is of a beautiful, well conditioned horse, with quite a presence. So I should do well to celebrate everything good more often.

We went over the green bridge. The wind again gusting to a gale. funnelled along the riverbanks. Whilst still being very aware how little it takes to startle a horse. I am beginning to trust her more in windy conditions. Really I'm more nervy than she is, looking out for things that may scare her..but rarely do. We had a good canter along, not even those devilish geese seemed to bother her today.

This all changed when we turned for home at TGI's bridge. When asked to walk, she lept straight into canter. I could so easily have just let her keep going, enjoy the ride...However, she must not be allowed to make decisions. So back to walk! Well sort of...Unusually the silly mare was now jogging and throwing her head up. Followed by a prance and dance in just about any and every direction. Momentarily I felt worried, alone and far from home! So thankfully managed to find a handfull of bravery and applied it with confidence, re-taking charge. So after a nice controlled walk, asked for canter..on my terms.

On the way home we disturbed a Buzzard, sitting on a low fence. Further proof of the rich wildlife here. Not so long ago such a sighting would have made headline news at the RSPB. Whilst not common here yet, it's fantastic to see such magnificent birds, such a short way from suburbia. A bonus of riding, I've noticed that birds are less wary of a horse and rider. If I'd been on foot, the Buzzard would never have let me get so close.
What made this ride especially memorable for me, was the last quarter of a mile, along the lane to the yard. For a while now I've been asking with half halts and lots of leg in walk. Hoping that Heather will start to accept the bit, come into some sort of shape. To my utter amazement, she softened...and stayed soft. Her neck was beautifully arched and I could feel her playing with the bit. I was having to balance between too little leg and too much hand, but previously she'd only shown a few steps before losing her shape. Then becoming argumentative again. She even trotted in a shape and I felt her back round and her hind legs lift under her. The "wooden horse" is slowly but surely coming back to life. In no small part down to me. So I was literally floating..on quite an emotional high for a couple of days after. She hasn't been as good since. So I'm wondering whether the combination of her recent clip on that windy day stirred up something within her. Firstly to have her little strop at the bridge, then later to drop into such a lovely relaxed state. I just hope there's more to come.

Monday started cold and crisp. One of those get up quick...jump for joy, sort of dazzling days! The weather looked settled for the week ahead..brilliant! To the yard early, I had intended riding in one of the outdoors. However, both were being used for lessons, so took Heather into the indoor. Planned half an hours schooling, with hopefully no fighting! Indeed she warmed up quite nicely. So decided to give canter a try on her favoured left rein. No problems really. Did plenty of transitions and sharpened her to canter from a standstill. So with things going so well, decided to give her a go in canter, on her weak right side. Got the usual superfast trot, or a canter on the wrong leg. Tried and tried..again and again. Till at last..a Eureka moment..she picked up on the correct leg. Kept her going a full circuit, before I let he trot. To canter in here where it's tight on her weak side is yet another first..another improvement. I wanted to finish on a good note, so left it at that. Time for some fun..

No real plan, just to relax and enjoy being out. Now late morning and already a gorgeous Autumn day. No wind and warm in the wall to wall sunshine, with a hint of frost in the shade.

Not really sure how it all came about, we started off visiting the five youngsters out near Banky Meadow. Still there and looking happy to have our company.

Next we ended up crossing the green bridge and heading for Kickety Brook. Testimony again to how willing Heather now is to going where she's asked..not just straight home. Though we passed the lane, which she knows leads there. On the banks, where we might normally have a canter was a crane and a work crew, re-contouring the lower bank. So not wanting to return yet, the only other choice was to head towards Turn Moss, through the long tunnel.

We had a good explore of Chorlton Ees and a canter along the fields at Hawthorn Lane. Where Heather put in a huge sideways spook as we passed a log! Once I realised I was still on board, I couldn't stop laughing out loud. This is fantastic..so much fun..such a brave but silly horse! From now on, and there were plenty more..every log was a croccodile or worse. Poor mare must think I'm totally potty putting us in so much danger. But she knows who feeds her and now only goes along to make sure I don't come to any harm! Gone are the days of standing still. This is now the go anywhere mare!

We soloed (if that's possible), all the way to Chorlton Waterpark, another first! In our recent visits in company, we'd actually skipped the lake, with it's crowds and loose dogs on a weekend. Crossing the river to return on the opposite, quieter side. Today there was hardly anyone around, so I dared to ride along one side. She reacted in a similar way to when I took her to Sale Waterpark. Really on her toes..taught, felt like she'd grown a few inches! Most definately wired, ears pricked, not missing a trick. I was very much aware of her feelings and didn't want to push my luck. I could sense that it wouldn't take much set her off! Though three ducks did land with a swoosh...and she only took two steps back! We walked calmly down one side. I'd like her to have a good memory of this place, to want to return. I've been so thrilled with such a lovely day and another great ride.

She was more than happy to canter all the way along the banks, homeward to Jacksons Boat. Wasn't even out of breath! I just completed my longest solo ride...and my longest blog...

No comments: