Tuesday 6 November 2007

Autumn Rides


Heather needs clipping this year. After Thursday evenings late lesson, I'd towelled her as dry as possible. Not wanting her to catch a chill, I put her fleece on. I know from my own walking experience, that moisture wicks through fleece to the surface, leaving the skin dry. So I was surprised to find her still wet the following morning. I had planned to ride, but had to stand her in the sun and gentle breeze to dry! Despite a lovely clear night, the air temperature had barely dipped to the low teens. This Autumn weather continues to be kind, but puzzling for a horse who thought it was Winter already! I have certainly never clipped a horse. At the yard recently, hardly a day goes by without the sound of clippers, often accompanied by the sound of clattering hooves. Not many horses seem too keen on having their haircut! I do remember as a very young lad being held down myself as some brawny barber zzz-ed my head. After a while it's actually quite relaxing...as long as there are no nicks. So I thought I'd introduce H to some clippers. I could have guessed... No sooner had I switched them on, she made a lunge at me, ears flat back. Threatened to spin in the stable and kick. Mmmh..think I'm going to need help.

We did get out eventually and had a lovely ride. Took her out onto the far side and up to the A56 bridge by TGI Fridays. Always seems so strange to be in apparent countryside, then suddenly smacked in the face with the smell of steak n chips, and heavy traffic. Normally Heather now likes to eat some grass and have a rest before cantering home again. Something was bothering her today and she was very twitchy. All it took was a duck to land on the river to set her off. That sudden lightning reaction that, which could be enough to unseat a rider. Quickly followed by a few steps in which ever direction! Silly horse. She'd now got it into her mind that there were monsters lurking and she was on the menu! Even the geese were devils and demons and not to be trusted. Despite the fuss here I pushed her on. Instead of going home after the green bridge, took her round the Banky Meadow loop. Here the scariest potential situation arose. Down near the waterworks on the right a cement mixer lorry was unloading...with men in dayglo spreading concrete. On the immediate left a road sweeping machine in full flow, bristles spinning and water jets hissing! Infront an HGV with a tractor on the back. With all that noise and fuss I was sure there was going to be trouble. After all, today she was terrified of a duck! So was very thankfull when she walked through all that commotion without a snort!

Sunday was another glorious day. Started off foggy and cold. The Sun soon burned through it all. Three of us met, with a view of reaching Chorlton Waterpark again. We changed our route slightly this time by going through the nature reserve at Chorlton Ees. All this area is on my back door step. I know it all like the back of my hand having grown up here. So now it's so strange, but thrilling to see it all from horseback. There is in fact no reason why I can't ride all the way to my back gate and tie a horse up there. Something for another day perhaps.

One drawback from it being such a lovely Sunday. It seemed half the good, and bad, folk of Chorlton had come out. Many with unruly, uncontrolled dogs and children. Not so many people ride over this area and there is still some ignorance of horses. Despite our slowing to walk near people and smiling and greeting politely. We did encounter some rudeness and were blanked by as many people, as those who smiled back. What a pity.

One of the horses, Garfield, is a sensitive soul. Perhaps all this was a little too much for him. So once in a while he tried to convince us that it might be nice to turn for home. We did eventually. Shared our stories with others over a coffee outside the cafe back at the yard..perfect.

No comments: