Sunday 6 January 2008

New Year in Snowdonia

They say a change is as good as a rest. I wasn't sure this was going to apply. Having spent far too long faffing around looking for and packing things I probably wouldn't need. I now found myself driving through the heaviest of squalls along the A55 to North Wales. My brother Jim, last year found a great place to stay, right in the heart of Snowdonia. I missed out... So I jumped at the chance to join in this time around.

I was to join the others at the cottage later. So my choice of destination along the way, was a visit to the Great Orme. I've always been drawn to this amazing lump of limestone, which looks completely out of place. Not surprisingly, Viking invaders approaching in their longboats many years ago, mistook this for a sea monster. The only monsters now are the goats which perilously skip across the sheer cliffs. In Springtime, these are home to thousands of chattering seabirds, vociferously arguing for nesting sites. I parked at Llandudno West Shore, looking to walk around Marine Drive. I wasn't quite prepared for the strength of the South Westerly wind blowing full force off the sea. Barely made it out of the car, could hardly see as my eyes were constantly streaming. Seriously thought of giving up within a few yards. The sea was wild...everything grey and it felt dark before it should have been. By the time I'd walked all the way round, the wind had eased, but my face had that tingling weather beaten feeling.

Not surprisingly I felt quite drowsy and was happy to meet up with the others at the cottage. We ate and drank well, whilst catching up and chatting about our days exploits. With a fair forecast for the next day, a scramble up Tryfan's North ridge and Bristly Ridge was suggested.

Tryfan is an exciting mountain. Unlike most hills nearby, it has almost no greenery...just rock! So even the easiest routes to its curious summit of Adam and Eve, involve some basic rock climbing or scrambling. We picked a tricky route, which meant it was ours exclusively! Though after the short lived difficulty, we joined in with a steadily increasing throng of climbers, all converging towards the summit. All getting equally wet and cold, as the days fair weather never came. Instead it rained. Which turned the descent into a slow scrape over slippery boulders, eroding time and daylight. Not to mention enthusiasm! So Bristly Ridge was left to lurk in the greyness for another visit.

Not to be outdone by the weather. We charged ourselves with a strong coffee and raced across Anglesey to see the sunset over the Irish Sea. Which we missed by minutes...but that wasn't really the point! South Stack lighthouse was standing strong and we were welcomed to Ireland by text on our mobiles!!

New Years Eve, Jim and I drove down the Lleyn Peninsula to escape more drizzle in the mountains. We visited a favourite beach, Porth Neigwl and walked over the headland at Cilan. On our return to the beach, the tide was dropping. Walking along the strand line is always interesting. We found two Triggerfish within yards of each other washed up. Another sign of the much talked about global warming? Certainly these fish are not regulars here. Someone was liting a beach bonfire. Now that would be a good way to meet the New Year....!

We welcomed in the New Year at the Tyn y Coed Hotel. Memorable for me, because I won a game of Pool! We were then treated to a fantastic fireworks display and more drink. A nice night without that weighty expectation of a New Year celebration in the city.

Next day I got up thinking of going straight home...whilst dressing for a mountain walk!! So it was that Jim and I raced up Snowdon from all the way down at the Pen y Gwryd. Yes it was misty and grey, without a view, but we moved quickly. Perhaps on a nicer day when there's a view it's more appropriate to slow down.

I returned to see Heather Horse, expecting excitment and welcoming. Instead got a look of death with ears flat back. "Where have you been??"

No comments: