Monday 24 March 2008

Easter at the Yard..

I no longer feel I'm looking after a crippled horse. This is great and something of a relief. Though already it's getting hard to remember quite how desperate I felt, that night just a few weeks ago finding her injured.
For my part, adjusting to Heather now living out, has focused my mind on the new challenges of trying to maintain her condition in less than ideal circumstances. With also, making sure she is recovering from her injury. The field where she now lives, is far from ideal, with more mud than grass and prone to flooding. So when possible I've brought her in for a haynet and a good feed. In fact bringing her in for a feed is more or less my chance to catch up with her and ask her what she's been up to! So far she hasn't told me a thing...
Seriously though, I'm determined that if she is to recover, it can only be quickened by giving her good feed. So over and above what is available on the yard, I've made efforts to come up with a diet that should help. She is now eating Top Spec Balancer, bulked up with Dengie Alfa A with oil, together with a handfull of mix and garlic. Nedless to say she's getting carrots, swede, apples and pears too! The balancer has all the supplements she needs. I'm particularly worried about her feet and determined not to let things slip here. Incidently she had shoes and a trim in the week and things are looking good here...except for the still cracked near fore foot, but good growth is coming. The Alfa A with oil was recommended by the Equine Nutritionalist from Top Spec feeds. Since there are times when bulk roughage, in the form of grass or hay might not be available. The Alfa A gives something towards making good the shortfall and is a slow release form of calories. I'm hoping the garlic will come through and help her with the inevitable annoyance of flies once the weather finally starts to warm up!! She certainly loves all the food I offer and would willingly eat a tub of garlic if allowed!!
The early Easter holiday brought a blast of polar weather, in the form of piercing gales sharpened further with hail and snow, directly from the North. I went to visit my brother, Mark, in South Wales for a couple of days. I left feeds made up for Heather and haynets. Though in the end hay was put out in her field and she wouldn't come in for Natalie, to be fed. Silly stubborn mare. Anyway she came in for me on my return. Glad to get a good scratch and tried to push me about!
I started writing this blog a few days ago. Heather was still improving on her dodgy leg and I even trotted her up in the yard on Monday. Still quite lame, but onlookers remarked on her progress. Unfortunately on Tuesday when called in, she came across the field enthusiasticly, but limping lame again.. The small wound has all but gone now. However her knee is still warm and slightly swollen. By the next morning she'd improved and tonight she is looking level and reasonably happy walking again. This is going to be a long process, with no certain outcome. At least the weather has warmed up a little


No comments: