Monday 3 March 2008

Stable Horse..

Time goes so quickly...is there no stopping the days rolling over, or even a way of wedging the minute hand to stop the hours sliding by! At last I feel myself again, ready to take on challenges and looking forward! But just as I feel fit and well, my time off is at an end and it's back to work on Wednesday.
During the last few days, I've fallen into a new routine of visiting the yard in the morning. Heather has her constitutional walk around the yard and a roll in the indoor. If it's been nice, I've tied her outside while I've mucked out. She's had some good grooming sessions and plenty of attention.
Once in a while I get a reminder of this horses stubborness and attitude. On our little walks around the yard, I've been trying to get her to walk as fast as possible. She loves to just amble about at her pace, which is far too slow. Does her no good, she drags her poor leg by the toe and seems to be making no progress. On the odd occasion that she gets excited about something, miraculously her stride is perfect! But trying to motivate her involuntarily onto this degree of movement ends up in a fight! "Walk faster..Heather" "No!" "WALK FASTER NOW" "Do you mean that!" "YES NOW!!" ..."Make me, if you dare!" "GET ON and don't be so stupid" This whole argument is a physical battle of intimidation, her barging me, flashing her face and pinning her ears..me shoving her back, digging her with and elbow and smacking her side with the lead rope. With this horse once you ask a question is asked, you have to be prepared to back your decision all the way...she can be very disagreeable and doesn't back down! You can see how she got kicked..!!
Her knee is still slightly swollen...there is still some warmth in the same place. After being in her stable, once walking, her limp subsides and the more effort she gives, the better she looks. She did however trot a few paces accidentaly, and she is still very very lame.The weather has turned from mild with gale force winds over the weekend, to bitter snow showers straight from the Arctic! Changes are afoot...

No comments: