Sunday 24 February 2008

A Definite Improvement...!

A few days have passed since I last updated here. Shortly after I last wrote, my sore throat and fever, turned into a very nasty lung and chest infection. For a couple of days I was really quite ill and had to pass Heather's care to Carol at the yard.
I returned on Saturday. The weather had turned milder and has stayed that way. Something which I'm sure had a bearing on Heather's recovery. Each day we've walked around the yard or the indoor school if possible. She has shown improvement almost daily. She is still limping, but now and then for a few strides she walks well, with almost no head bobbing. As she puts weight on the injured leg, her head bobs up momentarily. The swelling has stayed down and there is still only a slight warmth in her knee compared to the other.
Horses love to be out in the field. They are very social animals and yes they do "play" rough. I never really thought about the term "horseplay". I remember it being one of the things forbidden as well as running and diving at the local swimming baths years ago. Now I can put a picture to the word and I can understand exactly why this conduct is not welcome at the baths! So injuries will occur, it's just very unlucky for her that she took a kick in the knee.
One thing I knew she would be missing by not being out....obviously fresh grass and company. No, the first thing she does every time she goes into the field...rolls! She always rolls in the same place, well for the first one anyway. I'm not sure exactly how many rolls per day she has, but judging by the mud, I'd guess at three or four in a day out. So today I took her in the indoor when it was quiet for a walk...and a roll! Now it obviously just didn't smell right. She had a good sniff around and pawed the ground here and there, but then looked up disinterested. We walked around and as we came back to the most likely spot, I pawed the ground with my foot. Mmmmh...must be good! Short while later, she was down having a good scratch and roll....followed by a satisfying shake and snort!
Took her out for a good groom in the breeze. She's losing her winter coat quickly. One thing I've noticed is that she seems to have developed dandruff! Thinking of renaming her Snowflake! I don't remember this last year, but perhaps it's as she's staying in and not moving about as much. She certainly loves being brushed and scratched almost everywhere. So in general lots of progress. I'm feeling better too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi just wanted to say I hope Heather continues to improve. My horse had a similar injury which sadly he never recovered from but i am full of hopes that she is doing well.

Take Care

Alison

(Ace87 from NewRider)