Sunday 17 February 2008

Bad News...

This morning Heather was cripple lame again on her off fore leg again. I wasn't totally surprised as I'd noticed a change for the worse since her miraculous recovery earlier in the week. She is stablebound again and looking sorry for herself for the first time. I feel devastated and helpless..
The weather is very cold, but dry and sunny. Today I cut an old pair of wooly socks and managed to get it over her foot and shoe, up onto her knee. I've brought ice packs and held them against the only slightly swollen knee. Don't really know if it's doing any good. Very depressing to see her hobbling again and I'm afraid I'm not being very strong for her and fear the worst. The Bute is now finished, though I now doubt this was really having any real effect.
I've since found out that the vet tried but could not sucessfully inject antibiotics because she reared and struck out. Was it this perhaps that triggered a fight or flight adrenaline rush that saw her soundish for a day or two?? Because when I tried poulticing that evening she was fighting mad and not hobbling. She would only have had oral antibiotics for a few hours by then?? Oh so many questions and so much frustration. I don't know if I'm cut out for this horse lark after all. Not when it's on someone elses terms. Her owner may look at her tomorrow?? I feel like giving up....

No comments: