Tuesday 12 February 2008

Not Far Off a Miracle..

Only a few days ago I was choking back tears whilst encouraging Heather on through the mud and the dark...on three legs! Horses are beatiful animals, whose grace in movement comes from balance and almost imperceptible strength. So to see a horse in distress...so hopelessly crippled is, disturbing. Especially if that horse is the one you know best.
This morning, again, I was unable to meet the vet, due to work. However things went very well. Firstly Heather did not try to kill anyone! Secondly and more amazingly,,,,she went for a walk on the yard!! Got all excited and even trotted when she thought she was going out! I'm not the only one who is totally astonished. Even with some improvement yesterday I thought we'd be stable bound for weeks or worse..
So tonight I've walked her down the yard to hose her leg. Got to pick all four feet out, again something which I thought would be a problem. With Mary's help feeding treats, I poulticed her wound and even bandaged both fore legs, without last nights fight. She is still on painkillers and anti-biotics, which she happily eats with her feed. Speaking of which...she always leaves the apple till the end...eats the hard feed, then the carrots and has the apple for dessert! I am so relieved that she's on the mend. Any infection seems to be under control, it remains to be seen how much, if any long term damage has been done to her knee. Fingers crossed!

No comments: