Saturday 16 February 2008

Quick, Quick...slow...

Wednesday and Thursday, Heather's progress was remarkable. She walked across the yard to have her leg hosed with hardly a limp. As usual I had to fight to keep her from dragging me to the field, where she so obviously wants to be...
However yesterday and today she has gone backwards. This evening in fact her first few steps were decidedly stilted. What has changed? She still seems happy in herself, though no longer pulling for the field as much. I think that's just getting used to a new routine. She finished the antibiotics yesterday. The wound has dried. Any swelling on her knee has remained constant with no heat. She's happy for it to be poked and prodded. Her leg moves with no signs of discomfort. We're still on the Bute, painkiller, though her last dose is in her breakfast.
The weather has gone from being warm and Spring-like. Back to being cold. Tonights forecast is for yet more frost. Whilst she is wrapped up warm in a full neck quilted rug and her lower legs bandaged. Her knee is open to the cold and I'm wondering if this could be the cause of her relapse. I've been advised against bandaging her knee as such. However a thought passed my mind that I might use some old socks with the toes cut off to slip over her knee without being too restrictive. Anyway, my train of thought is that if she could walk almost 90per cent fine. Then there can't be anything broken or torn...as in bones or ligaments...Bute could not hide that. I'm hoping there's no infection...but there is no heat and the swelling is constant...but not much anyway. Fingers still well and truely crossed. She is a hard and brave horse.

No comments: