Tuesday 18 March 2008

Sunglasses...

With some time off and a favourable forecast, I threw my walking stuff on the floor on Sunday evening. I've learned from experience that if I get everything packed and ready the night before, I inevitably unpack it again for some silly reason. On the other hand if nothing is done, it's all too easy to just not bother, and stay in bed!
Thankfully I awoke to a glorious sunny Spring day. No hanging about and itching to get going. I took great delight at watching stressed out commuters stuck in traffic jams heading into Manchester...all the way from Warrington along the M56. How do people do this every day?? Madness!! No such hold ups for me, my only problem was a dazzling sun, which stayed with me all day, forcing me to wear sunglasses!
I parked the car at the village of Rhyd Ddu, which lies to the Southwest of Snowdon. Last time I was here I was supporting Jim in the pouring rain, running the Snowdonia Marathon. No trouble today, but just realised I had no suncream.
I haven't been out walking on a day like this for a long time. At this time of year everything is so fresh and the colours so vivid. The air was cool and clear and almost tasted sweet. the sun gently warming, with hardly a cloud to notice. I took the Snowdon Ranger path from the West. Still dizzy with the flavour of the morning air and the devouring all the scenery. Hardly noticed that I was steadily climbing, till I started encountering some ice and left over snow.
They were clearing the railway line to the summit, to no doubt continue work on the new visitor centre and cafe. I didn't stay here long..too much noise for such a lofty peak. So I descended South on the Rhyd Ddu path and found a sun trap between some rocks, to have a short break.
This is a great way off this mountain. The ridge of Bwlch Main has steep drops either side, yet is easy to cross with a good path, so no scrambling is needed. But it gives an exposed feeling, which sharpens the senses and focuses the mind. The whole day was a sensory over load which left me refreshed and quite tired!
Sat in the back of the car facing the beatiful Nantlle Ridge, whilst getting changed to return. Something caught my attention and looked up, to see two paragliders riding a thermal.Everything about the day was perfect and I took my time basking in the sun. For a final treat walked up into the village and sat having a delicious coffee at the Cwellyn Arms.

No comments: