Sunday 13 April 2008

Thought she'd won the Lottery...

The weather forecast proved spot on. A quick reminder of Winter, with snow showers and hail..strong Northerly winds and relentless rain. Many times I've thought of Heather out in the dark..in the mud, with no shelter . As I've lay warm and safe tucked up with a hot drink! Just glad I'm not a horse. Well no, that's not true. Sometimes I envy her simple life. Biggest decision of the day is who to be friends with and is that a hosepipe or a snake?
The Swallows that arrived last week have taken to sitting on the wire and looking very fed up and unimpressed. Though on days like today, when it finally stopped raining, the flies came out with a vengeance. Swallows suddenly into action deftly swooping and diving. They have most of Europe to migrate to, so I'm wondering why some come here and obviously return. The yard is somewhat untidy, with its mix of buildings and stables...and of course, horses. So no shortage of flies in reality. Also with all the hay and feed which inevitably gets spilled, another of our resident birds are House Sparrows. Theyre demise has been attributed to modern farming methods, where everything is clean and nothing left or overlooked. So the yard is a haven for more than just horses and all the better for it. Though we could do without the rats...
Meanwhile I've been getting used to having no stable to base myself from. Really it's been more of an adjustment for me than for her. I've realised that despite all the nasty weather and the poor ground and lack of grass. Heather is really quite happy to be out. Even at it's coldest and windiest, I've put a hand under the rug and at worst she's not exactly been toasty warm but certainly not cold. I've constantly now got a smell of carrots and apples in the car. Some people buy air fresheners!
Her leg this week is about the same. She can walk perfectly well..virtually no sign. I can tell, by listening to her footfalls on concrete, when her near fore strikes in walk. But to look at her there is no sign. In trot, a different matter. Still very obviously lame. So I realise that from now on progress might be slow. However I did take her for a good walk around the indoor the other day. It's been a while since we were in here. So I was pleased to see her not stumble in the loose sand as she previously had here.
During the week a bale of haylage was found to be rotten. It found its way into the field for the outdoor underclass to sift through. Heather and co thought they'd won the lottery!!! The feeding frenzy was short lived, as they soon ate the good bits leaving lots to soak up the mud...


No comments: