Sunday 27 April 2008

Springtime Walk....

At last the North winds have gone. Hopefully not to return soon. The week has mellowed into April like sunshine and showers. The temperature has risen to dizzy heights for the year and it really feels like Spring!
I've had this in mind for a short while now...but waiting for the right opportunity. Take Heather for a walk! The accute days of her injury seem to be melting fast with the warming weather. I'm now looking at her rehabilitation back to work, with a bit of luck.
Anyway that was the idea from the comfort of home. In reality taking a horse for a walk is not to be taken lightly, as I know from past experience! It's strange how time dulls the memory and we willingly undertake things we vowed never to do again. Or is that just me? By the time I got to the yard some sensible arguments were popping up in my mind. The wind had picked up and things were blowing about...she'll be spooking at everything as she's not been out of the field for so long. With the warm weather and it being a Sunday, there'll be lots of cyclists, walkers and dogs down the lane. There's bound to be trouble! Isn't she getting enough exercise in the field anyway? Yes all true. But I'm now putting her bridle on for the first time in a while...so I'll have some control. She might be perfectly fine and the grass on the riverbanks is so long and lush..!!
So kitted in my riding hat, body protector, boots and gloves off we went. She's a horse not a lion and I had a whip to keep her in check and a pocket full of carrots and polos...what could possibly go wrong. Out down the lane she was fine though very wary. Once at the river it took all my effort to keep her where I wanted, her head was stuck in that long tasty grass. Stuffing so much in her mouth she couldn't cope! Noticed too that she was seeking out dandelions to eat, of which there are plenty..
She coped well with loose dogs around her legs, other horses being ridden by, a tractor and numerous cyclists. Wasn't till halfway back along the lane when some other horses turned out decided to run that I got trouble. In an instant she grew tall. I've seen this before and it's quite scary. It's as though I'm no longer there...she's a horse and there's a reason to run....and she tried! If she wasn't wearing the bridle I probably wouldn't have been able to keep her. After probably two hundred yards of blowing...pulling, snatching and spinning I finally managed to make her realise that she was safe with me! Walked back onto the yard looking like nothing had happened....I turned her out without a rug...naked for the first time in ages. Hope this warm weather continues.

No comments: