Sunday 3 August 2008

Excuse not to run...

Only a week after entering the Snowdonia Marathon, I'm starting to wonder if it's going to be possible. About this time, a year ago, I started having trouble with my left knee. So much so, that I mentioned it to my Doctor, on an occasion when I'd accumulated enough ailments to feel a visit was warranted! So I was sent for an MRI scan. This revealed a tear in the Medial Meniscus. All this took so long, that by the time I had the results, my knee felt much better.
Faithful old trainers may need replacing if I'm to make a serious attempt.

So I knew there might be a problem. During the last week I've done three five mile runs. One of which was at a good pace. This is when I felt the old injury. Yesterday I decided to put things to a real test, and ran twelve miles on a treadmill in the gym...taking just about 1 hour 37 mins. My knee hurt all the way through and was very stiff this morning. So realistically the marathon attempt seems out of reach. I did take one 400mg Ibuprofen at lunchtime, then went for a mile swim. I've since been riding too and the knee is not painful. So I'll take it easy with the running this week and see how I go. No matter what, I think I deserve a new pair of trainers!