Tuesday 29 July 2008

Tripped up, down a Mountain!

Was definitely a wrench leaving Manchester on a warm sunny morning, knowing that my destination was already grey and damp. The forecast wasn't great but good enough and I'd taken a peek from the webcam that sits on Elidir Fach, looking across to Snowdon. Mist and light rain...typical mountain weather. So by the time I arrived in Nant Peris, I was pleased to find the cloud above the tops and felt optimistic for a good day. On a practical note I have a couple of grumbles. The car park toilets were locked...not good at the end of a two hour drive fuelled on coffee! I also noticed with disgust that a pay to park machine was being installed by workmen. This car park is underused and traditionally has been used as an overspill from the always chocka Pen Y Pass car park further up. I've always seen not having to pay as a reward for keeping things running smoothly, as it were, and putting up with a long walk in.
Looking South West from Carnedd a Filiast across the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir to Elidir Fawr

My first ascent was in front of me. Elidir Fawr stands at 924 metres commanding the backdrop to the North. This is a hard slog. A path cuts diagonally up, relentless in direction and slope, though always up, interspersed with bogs. Not until the last hundred metres or so does the grass give way to rock and loose boulders. So it was with relief that I stumbled into the summit cairn crater. Since the mountain stands alone, the views are far reaching with all the familiar tops easily recognisable. Keeping on a Northerly theme, I descended steep scree and skirted round the far end of the Marchlyn Mawr reservoir. This is part of a hydro-electric power station deep with in the mountain and well worth a visit to the impressive man made caverns within. I was soon climbing once more, amongst flowering Heather to the top of Carnedd Y Filiast. The views now down into the Ogwen Valley.
The Atlantic Slabs, former sea-bed like crazy paving gone mad at 45 degrees!

The obvious path across to the next peak of Mynydd Perfedd skirts the edge of Cwm Graianog. Here without a doubt are some of the strangest and most impressive rock formations to be found. A former section of seabed perches crazily at forty five degrees, halfway up a mountain! I did cautiously venture on, but soon retreated after slip on some moss made me remember the saying about rolling stones gathering no moss!
View from my new found path, looking at the head of the Ogwen Valley, with Tryfan central.

I was looking forward to the next part of my adventure. The obvious and popular way ahead is to now follow the ridge and stay high.I've walked this many times and it is very satisfying. However the views into the Ogwen Valley are not as good as perhaps expected. Just before the steep climb to Foel Goch, there are two stiles. So shunning the ridge, I took the second stile and descended a steep grassy slope into Cwm Bual. On good advice, I easily located a stile painted blue and crossed it following a broken wall and fence line. Soon I was on a feint but obvious path that contoured round and headed up the valley about halfway between the valley floor and the ridge above. What a delightful little path, never in doubt and entertaining enough. With views into the Cwms above, crossing small streams and short-lived scree, flowering Heather and a different slant on familiar slopes! I passed beneath an enticing looking puzzle of rock formations marked on my map as the "Mushroom Garden", so have left further reason to return! The path even deposited me exactly at the climb from Llyn Idwal to Y Garn.
Refreshing waterfall in Cwm Padraig, useful for washing away blood and sweat....

Y Garn is an impressive mountain in its own right. Today it was getting just a bit part in my day. The cloud had covered the tops now and a slight drizzle kept me busy climbing as the closer I got to the top, the lower the cloud seemed to come! I didn't even stop on the summit. My mind was already ahead of me and I was feeling a bit tired after the excitement of discovery earlier. So I soon found myself on autopilot running down familiar slopes of scree. Then in an instant I caught a toe...fell onto my elbow, banged my knee, rolled over on my pack and was on my feet still descending wondering what was about to give! Unbelievably both hands had mere pin pricks on the palms, my right elbow was grazed and slightly cut and I had dirt all over my right thigh and back pack..that's all! So I slowed and counted how many blessings. Found the scenic route down through Cwm Padraig and stopped a while to refresh my self and wash by a waterfall. This is a brilliant way to spend a day!

No comments: