Saturday 10 May 2008

Caught in the act...

Resourceful, bold and inquisitive...Heather is a thief and at last caught on camera!! Out of a field of other horses and ponies, she's the only one to brazenly put her head in the back of the hay store and stand there for hours. She seems to have no "full" switch inside and I'm sure one day she'll burst!
I had to use all my cunning and the zoom on the camera, to sneak up and papparrazzi style snap the money shot! Despite my best efforts she caught wind of me, literally and with a swish of her tail the greedy mare turned and spotted me!
Next came the sweet and innocent "look how lovely I am, such a good horsey" face as she approached, asking for treats!! No fooling me. Secretly I'm proud she's a bit of a rogue. Tough girl, she knows how to look after herself. I've known her for nearly two years now. The more I learn the more I wish I knew her past life. I know she's seen a lot...I've the feeling she's not had things easy, but she's a fighter for sure.
I've had fun bringing her in from the field. She's a habit of having a "lie-in" of a morning. Gave me quite a shock first time. All the others stood grazing...Heather lying motionless in the corner of the field. Eventually a twitch of an ear and reluctant roll...she's not a pretty sight in the morning. With the increased daylight, I'm guessing that she's up and active very early and takes this morning nap once the sun is high and warm enough...but before the flies are active.
I let her approach me...then I turn and run away, towards the gate. Usually with a little whinny, she plods into a gentle trot and catches me by the gate. I get a chance to see her moving. Though she's improved so much in the past weeks. She is still lame on the injured leg. She seems to have plateaued in her progress. So again it's hoping and waiting. In the mean time I'm enjoying looking after her and watching her get up to the things that horses do, when left to themselves..

No comments: