Monday 19 May 2008

Very Good News...!!

During the week, the farrier visited and Heather had a trim and new shoes. I took the opportunity to trot her up for his opinion on her progress. It's difficult for me to tell how she's going when I'm close up to her. So it was good to get his view, which I value. The verdict....she's level. This is very good news. When she was initially injured I wasn't the only one who feared the very worst. So this is a major milestone.
Ouzo standing infront of Heather

More good news. Her feet are in the best condition yet. Testimony to my religious care and attention and Wayne's judgement and skill, in trimming and shoeing. He has suggested I should think about getting her back in work. Tempered slightly with the concern that the bony growth, now quite evident at the point of injury on her leg, may interfere with her movement.
The grass next door looks greener....

So my original estimate of June looks to have been about right. Whilst I feel good about having got so far. I dare not celebrate anything yet, in as much as I don't want to feel disappointment if things don't go well. It's been a long wait and I'm not going to rush in now. Particularly as the ground everywhere is set like concrete. The weather has been fantastic recently....just when I could do with some rain!! All through the Spring it rained and rained...now it's dry, oh apart from one wet night.
But not as good as a bucket of breakfast!

Heather herself has been a little devil in the field. Though the grass in her field is very short, poor and over-grazed...it obviously tastes very good! She no longer comes to a call and during the last week has been in season. I have been threatened by her, as have most of her field mates! I don't know what goes on when I'm not around, but she seems to be picking up lots of cuts, bruises and bites! She gives in to me though. I know her well enough to realise that her threats are just that, if returned equally...she's just a big bully.

No comments: