Tuesday 20 May 2008

Fantastic News...!!

Today I rode Heather!!!! Much sooner than I thought possible. Everything seemed right and buoyed by last weeks progress...thought, let's do it...let's go! First of my days off, sunny, breezy and cool. Just perfect. I dragged her saddle out with the rest of her tack. A little ashamed, I've never got round to cleaning it in all the time she's been out of action. I suppose I've been in denial and not wanted to wash away the memories of that last ride...so long ago.
Heather tacked up for the first time in months

Brought her in as on so many other mornings, but today was different. Tacked up without a fuss...except I forgot her girth!! Quick trip to the car and tried fastening it up. To my great surprise, she's actually put on weight! Few adjustments here and there and yes, we're one hole down on her "normal". So again my hard work and effort through the cold grass-less times have payed off.
Down the lane....will you look at all that mane!!

There were a few people around...and I told a couple. But really as I got on at the mounting block, it all felt slightly flat. Where were the fanfares and flags....speeches and announcements. Instead we slipped our moorings and went up the drive off the yard as though it was any horse on any day! But this was very special. I'm sure she knew.
Showing no ill effects, but ready to go back to the field and friends....

Off down the lane. She was striding purposely and completely sound. No limp...no stumbling. She was quite spooky and on her toes. In reality she didn't put a foot wrong. We got to the river all too quick. This is where I'd intended turning round for home. I tried to let her eat grass, but she wanted to keep moving!!! So we walked down towards Banky Meadow. Here we turned at the start of the "sandy track". I hope she keeps this forward going walk...what a delight! We trotted for a hundred yards on the way home, both diagonals. I'm still not absolutely sure, but that's good. She is not far off totally sound, and probably just a little stiff. I can't believe I just rode the three legged horse of a few months ago.
I went shopping for treats! So whisky for the horse...fruit and veg for me, ...right??!

Ouzo was calling and happy to see H return to the field. I went shopping and bought Heather more delicious treats and a bottle of whisky for myself. Rewards all round for a perfect first ride.

No comments: