Wednesday 17 October 2007

Girl's Got New Shoes...

Every six weeks is a milestone for Heather. Her feet are just one of her many issues. So a visit from the farrier is an important day. Unfortunately I've not been able to see her last two shoeings, so was pleased to be able to get down today.

When I first took over the reins, as it were, some fourteen months or so, ago. The first thing that I noticed about her were her huge, dinner plate sized feet. There are so many things I don't know about this horse. One of my questions to her, if she could speak, would be. "What happened to your feet"? They are so obviously a hinderance to her movement and to me, quite possibly one of the main reasons for her a
wkwardness into canter.

Her worst foot is her near fore, which is in the pic. Really the pic doesn't show the flare, or her low heel. But the cracks running from the clip give the whole problem away. This is the first time she's had clips. So her feet are getting stronger. Recently, especially after her last shoeing, I've really noticed am improvment in her going. So fingers crossed for tomorrow, when I plan to be at the yard early and try some schooling...then a little hack.

Always amazes me to watch a farrier work. There is so much skill and effort that goes into making each shoe and foot fit snugly together. There's something appealingly wholesome about seeing a horse being shod, whilst I have mobile phone in my pocket...and blog on the internet! I'm in love with the earthiness of horses and their old ties with man going way back . So despite our everyday arguments, in this modern world of ordered chaos... I'm really happy to have Heather in my charge. She reminds me that I'm alive!

No comments: