Sunday 28 October 2007

Snowdon Marathon 2007

Yesterday, my brother Jim, ground out a gutsy and almighty effort to conquer the nemesis that is the Snowdon Marathon. This event lives up to its reputation of being both the most beautiful, but also most challenging of all road marathons held in this country.

Jim told me back in June, that he was going to train for this, with some colleagues from the British Mountaineering Council. I know the lonely hard miles needed to train for such an event only to well. Back in the 80s when marathon running became a fashion, I completed two in quick succession. Strangely I had been thinking about doing another only last year. So I was tempted. I also remember the agony and pain involved in the actual run...

So gladly went along yesterday to give whatever support I could. As soon as we arrived at Llanberis the place was alive with people limbering up, stretching. Some looking like it was an everday event, others looking like lost sheep, new boy at school. All sorts of shapes and sizes, men and women. Fascinating to watch. All the time, I knew deep inside that I should be getting ready, not to watch, but to run. I'm made for this kind of thing. Instead it's Jim who's got the running shoes on.

Kirstine, Jim's girlfriend, and me walked the couple of miles up to see the start at Nant Peris. I was surprised at how many...over 1500, competitors there were. The sharp chiselled athletes at the front like greyhounds....then a good couple of minutes to the everday guy, like Jim!

Drove round to the other side of Snowdon and parked at Rhyd Ddu. Within a short while, the low cloud turned to light rain. Then the wind picked up. It got really miserable. We stood and I clapped as Kirstine cheered runners on for what seemed like hours. Taking turns to get in the car and warm up. Some of the runners were congratulating us on our effort! This was about the 16 mile point. Andy, then a while later Tina passed. No Jim. Began to be a little concerned. Eventually, a wet, bedraggled character loomed out of the mist. Befriended by a guy wearing a Scooby-Doo suit! Re-supplied and with 'Stines waterproof top on, off he went.

We drove round the other way and parked up halfway along the last and final climb to Waun Fawr. Still raining, still blowing. What a horrible day to be in the hills, let alone running 26 miles! Caught Jim and Scooby, still together and grimacing. I knew it was still tough going, but they were now at 21 miles, sure to finish.

They did...still together, they'd kept each other going in the true spirit that brings total strangers together to perform what to most of us are superhuman achievments. Congratulations to everyone who attempted that race, especially those who were on the course longest! Jim thoroughly deserved his sports massage at the end, getting the attention of not one but both masseurs.

I am re-inspired and will give it some serious thought for next year. Really, my minds made up.




No comments: