Wednesday 10 October 2007

Horse with a Goldfish memory...


When it comes to horses, nothing really surprises me. However I was more than a little annoyed at Heathers lack of schooling memory. During the Summer I concentrated on hacking and sorting out her headshaking problem. Thanks to the Liverpool University Vet school, her headshaking is cured, while I've still some of the trail supplement left!! So finally I've had a chance to get her fit. She really is an improved horse out and about and I'm still seeing progress, almost daily! Despite her redundancy in the riding school, I've persisted and ridden her in my Thursday group lessons. Again this has been incredibly hard work. She has though shown some improvement here, even surprised me and any onlookers who know much about her.
My goal is to get her a job in the school. I took her on loan over a year ago, dragged from the field where she'd been sent to fester. She'd been spruced up and polished. Went well for me at first. Then ever so gradually, looking back, she took over. She really is one mean mare. This time last year, a nuclear war wouldn't shift her under muscled back end! I've had some really good help with her. It's taken all my courage and physical effort to claw back the ground lost. Why am I doing this? Believe it or not, there is so much joy in achieving the improbable. Also she has the most angelic face and whinnies when I come on to the yard. Admittedly she ignores me if there's already good food to be had. But I dare say I'd ignore her in favour of a good Sunday roast!
So today we attempted some solo schooling. Lovely day too. Mid Autumn, some sun, quite warm with a nice breeze...perfect for riding. Unfortunately the school is boggy and deep. I know there's going to be trouble as we walk, reluctantly round on her better left rein. In trot she's resisting and jumping back at me, trying to do little steps of canter. In walk she's napping and threatening to plant feet. Hardly dare changing the rein onto her stiff, right rein. I've tried with leg...lots of leg. I've encouraged and tapped only when absolutely needed. No she's fighting me. Okay. I don't like having to do this, but this behaviour stops now. I've learned how to and how hard to apply the whip with this horse. I look into the next door arena and see a rider on Garfield going ever so nicely. I cringe at the thought of anyone looking in on my "ride". The argument's over and now she just wants to canter! This is another protest. I'm fully aware that as soon as she drops from canter, she'll try and stop by the gate. I've got to be ready to transition to trot, but it takes a huge effort.
We've done half an hour. Both horse and rider shattered! Time for some fun. It's only a short hack down to the "canter field" and a chance to relax. It rained yesterday, but I'm still surprised how wet it is. Hope the surface isn't too greasy. I know that the far side by the river will be firm enough. I'm going to ask Heather a couple of questions. Seeing as she's freshly re-awakened, shall we say. Halt to canter...I know she can do it. She does....with a bit of encouragement, but yes. Not perfect on her right, she keeps cantering with the wrong lead. But for the halt to canter...pretty near every time. Good girl, time for home...haynet and turnout. Not even the University riders want her this week!

No comments: