Wednesday 24 October 2007

More Head Shaking....

I Wanted Heather to have every chance to do well. I'd already realised that the hand-me down saddle from the school did not fit her. Though it was nice and light.

She has very high withers. Took me several visits to a tack shop across Manchester to find something. I brought five or six saddles back each time and none were anywhere near. Lastly, in the shop was shown one, an old GP, I was told modelled on a police saddle. I knew instantly it would fit, as though made for her. English leather locally made, but on the heavy side. Turns out to be every bit as comfortable as confidence giving. Needed a few repairs, but before long had it on her back. All this, remembering, I'm new to horses, let alone saddle fitting. So I sought out all the information and opinions I could. What a way to learn!


Riding wise, things were not going at all well. I was having to lead her out down the lane and beyond in hand. Then I'd hop on and ride home. Still she was head shaking...As though she was trying to throw the bit out of her mouth. I found it all quite frightening, as a couple of times she nearly over-balanced and fell, the shaking was so violent.

Her teeth were checked and yes they were sharp. Another possibility. Though I missed the visit, the dentist came and spent a while with her. So I was hopefull of an improvement.

As much as an excercise in learning about tack, I put together a new bridle for her. Again, her school bridle was a bit strung together and the browband was definately too tight. Could this be contributing to her discomfort? Bu
t despite my new tack, the head shaking continued...

Coming into the New Year, 2007, I had some excellent help at the yard, getting over Heathers napping. Plus stopping her new evasion...bucking!

Slowly, but surely I was able to push her on, predict her napping. Take her out further and for longer. Always though, trying to ask some question of her. Never letting her, or me, settle into complacency. Still plagued by this head shaking! I never did get off because of it, but I was so close. Sometimes it felt as though she was a split second from bolting. Shaking, twitching and stamping, paying me no attention. I really was frightened.

Around Easter I started to read up and find out specifically about head shaking in horses.




1 comment:

natalie said...

It sounds to me like your horse has what mine has, photosensitivity. Head shaking, head thowing, lesions on white socks that look like rope burns, standing in the shade while the other horses are grazing, sensitive around the face and ears. These are all symptoms. My horse was unrideable this spring, around mid-May it started. I started turning him out at night, took him off pasture and alfalfa hay, put him on a herbal liver supplement from a local vet. The lesions haven't healed yet, but all the other symptoms are either gone or very minimal. I can ride him outside during the day and even trail ride with only a toss or two. A crochted ear bonnet also really helped as the he seemed to be more sensitive to the gnats also. As the days get shorter I am assuming the symptoms will stop eventually.

Natalie