Saturday 13 October 2007

Heather goes to the Waterpark

Grey overcast start to the day. I'm up late as it's my last day off before another shift. Decide on a short schooling session with Heather. I want to keep it simple and avoid a big fight. Todays goal is canter on her favoured left rein. I've put my short plastic spurs on as I want her to have the clearest signals as to what I want. So after a short but difficult warm up I ask for the first time. As so often, she gives a couple of strides then falls back into her super fast trot. On the second ask, I'm ready with a quick flick on her shoulder as she canters. Great! But we're not going to just sail round like this. Back to trot..now walk...halt. She's so good at halts! Now back up through the "gears" and down again. Four times, all with a passable canter. Enough for today. Let's go out.

As we head off the yard, down the lane, she's really responsive. I've got no doubt we're going to have a good ride out. I've got the Kickety Brook route , clockwise in mind. Soon over the green bridge, we stop to look at a sign which we pass so many times. Not sure if she's reading it or eyeing up the grass beside... Schooling's sharpened her and she strikes a lovely canter along the banks. Seems a pity to slow her, so much fun. No flies, no dogs, no wind or rain. Nice day to be out on a horse!

So nice trotting along Kickety Brook. Cool, wooded and green, still my favourite local hack. Before long we come to the junction where there are three choices of direction. I've changed my mind. I'm going to ask a big question of Heather. We're going to solo attempt the long black muddy tunnel, under the motorway. We've been in company before and we've stood in the entrance ourselves, this is a good opportunity. This is a scary enough place for people, let alone a possibly unwilling horse too! I push her on and soon we're in. It's difficult enough to see anything in here. To make matters worse, my glasses have now steamed up. I'm blind, and just keep squeezing my legs and trusting Heather. She goes on carefully, without a fuss. I think I gave out a bigger sigh as we came back into daylight!

There's an old saying "You don't flog a willing horse." Heather now comes into that bracket. She only needs leg on, to move her forward. Even though we're still heading away from home! Seeing as things are going so nicely, I've got an idea. Let's see if we can get to Sale Waterpark. Again I've taken her in company quite a while ago. So this will be another test. Never alone. There are lots more bridges and tunnels on this route, but with the worst under our belt, on we go. Strangely enough, it's Barfoot Bridge, the last one where Heather gets flustered and refuses to go. It has the river beneath on the left with a rapid. More unusual for her is the Metrolink tram lines on the right. I'm glad I waited for trams to pass before we attempted this bridge. As it tuns out, some firm leg and some encouraging words were all that was needed to convince her over. Her trust in me is so much better these days. Conversely, I roughly know what responses I'll get and trust her too.

Once over, just a short walk down to the waters edge. Poor girl was a little anxious at the sight of the lake. Blowing and snorting! Soon settled though. This has been a fantastic ride and we've been out far longer than I'd planned. I'm so pleased with her.

I try something else on the way back. Turn her for home and ask for trot. From now on I play dead. Sit still, no leg contact, slack reins, not a sound. I'm not going to interfere unless necessary. On she trots. Along the lane by the cemetery. Walks over the horse style...trots again! Under the A56 in walk. Then finds the gap in the fence turns left and goes carefully back through the long black tunnel! Amazing! She obviously felt happy enough along Kickety Brook to take a break for some grass! At which point I took over as I've got more to do than just watch her munch. Though she deserved it and got the rest of the day out with her mates!

No comments: