Thursday 18 October 2007

The Good, Bad and the Ugly

The Good... Heather! Yes, she went reasonably well for me this morning in the back outdoor. Slow start to the day, with Autumn fog enough to make any right minded horse, or person want to stay in. "Canter on the stiff side today please, H!" Sooner we get it done, sooner we go for a hack. Without too much trouble we're off on the right rein, in canter. Yes I was wearing plastic spurs and yes she did fight back. But her attitude was not full on war...more token resistance.
So we set off to do Kickety Brook anti-clockwise. Still foggy, was worried to canter as I couldn't really see too far! But we did..! Brave horse did so well for me. Up a head on the banks were three men using industrial sized strimmers to cut the grass on the lower banks. Plus a tractor with the big boom arm cutting the grass back further up! My initial reaction...same as hers. Turn round and go the other way! But between us, we gathered our courage and pushed on past! Very pleased with very brave horse!

Also under the Good, come Mel and Ange. Poor Mel turned up to find that Flossie has a sore back and she's riding Corbie. We're all creatures of habit and like to feel comfy in what we're doing. Mel is used to Flossie, Corbie is physically bigger, and a little of the unknown! So pleased that by the end of a lesson, that I peeked at from afar. Ange had got Mel and Corbie happily united and getting on so well together! So hats off to Ange and Mel, plus Corbie of course. Next week if all goes smoothly, I'll be taking Mel out on a short hack after her lesson..

The Bad...In my group lesson tonight I rode Garfield again. Two weeks ago he went so nicely for me. Tonight he was a bad lad! Excuses..for me. Last time I'd had a couple of private lessons leading up to riding him. So I was well tuned into how to keep a horse in a shape and working. I was also very focused riding him last time, knowing how he can bomb! This time perhaps I took my eye off a little and eased off him. Also he'd been hacked and was about to have his tea, when I turned up and tacked him to ride. I'd have been miffed if I were him!! So not ideal. So when he did "go" I didn't feel nervous about it. He's okay in his paddy fit, we get together again at some point. But for a short while I'm not really in control of this horse. Which is not good for the riders ego!! But with every ride, there's something learned. This is another thing that makes riding so addictive. There's always more to learn...there's always a challenge!

The ugly...me! I feel like some sort of monster rough rider...like an Ork from Lord of the Rings! For flogging, jabbing and hauling on poor horses, who only really want to eat grass!!

No comments: