Monday 22 October 2007

Head shaking and Hard Work..

In June 2006, I accepted Heather on loan as a replacement for Billy, who was long term lame.
My decision was swayed by someone else doting over her and thinking of taking her. I had first refusal and didn't want t
o lose out. So I took her on.

I knew virtually nothing about her. I was warned that she was top mare in the field and could be difficult. Now with hindsight I can certainly wholeheartedly agree! But smaller in stature to the boisterous Billy, I thought I could handle her easily enough. She is also quite an attractive loo
king mare...especially when she puts her ears forward.

Under saddle, one thing became quickly apparent. Heathers head was very rarely still. Always blowing and snorting too! Her head often thrashing alarmingly in just about any direction. She would sometimes just snatch suddenly and violently at the reins. Other disturbing traits were a constant swishing of her tail and an all over body twitch. As though she was wired to the mains and sometimes I was convinced she was about to explode!

I asked advice and was told some of it might be down to her lack of fitness. Possible, as she'd been out of work and turned away for quite while. Flies also really bothered her and it was pointed out that perhaps my hands were too "busy". I don't know what the weight of a horses head and neck are, but I challenge the best rider to keep their hands still, with all that thrashing around on the end of the reins! I listened and took onboard what I agreed with and started to do some of my own research.


She's been called the "witch" or the "beast". Labelled as lazy and stubborn. That she's "taking the mick" and "trying it on". After a short honeymoon period when she went quite well. She soon started
her way of napping. By planting feet!

In October last year we'd got to a horrible state of not being able to leave the yard. Nor would she budge an inch in the school, without someone else dragging her for me! Even though this was eroding my confidence and questioning my worth as a rider. I'd already decided there must be reasons for all this. What is wrong with this horse? I really did feel like ditching her sometimes. But the brief memory of some nice ride
s through the Summer, spurred me on to take on this challenge.

No comments: